On that Indo-Chinese kick, one of my favorite street food noodle classics that you can find me craving at anytime, ordered with a side of chili chicken of course! Follow @TheSharedSpice on Instagram for a step-by-step live demo for this recipe!
Indo-Chinese cuisine is the best of both worlds when it comes to Asian Cooking.
Once upon a time, the Han Chinese villagers started to migrate to India and landed in the state of Kolkata. With the amalgamation of local Indian cuisines (and spices) and the Hakka Chinese style of cooking was born Indo-chinese food.
Honestly, learning about such stories, you continue to understand and appreciate a lot in the world. Sharing spices, culture, and customs is why immigration has been and will continue to be such a pivotal movement to maintain a thriving world.
Takes me back to this day 2 years ago when I started this blog. Fusing cultures, one dish at a time. It’s as simple as that. Thank you for making my inner-soul happy by sharing the love these past two years. You have no idea how much I appreciate each message and picture you all send me – even the questions! You keep me inspired.
Thank you. From the bottom of my heart. ♥
PREP: 20 minutes TOTAL: 30 minutes YIELD: 4-6 servings
VEGGIE HAKKA NOODLES
- 1 Box Hakka Noodles or Spaghetti Noodles, cooked per box instructions
- 1½ Cup Shredded Green Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced strips
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, thinly sliced strips
- 2 Jalapeños, thinly sliced strips (add Thai Green Chilies for extra spice!)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Grated Ginger
- ¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- Hakka Chili Sauce
- Sliced Green Onion (optional garnish)
- Cooking Oil
HAKKA CHILI SAUCE
- 1/2 cup. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Vinegar (distilled white)
- 2 tbsp. Ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Sriracha
- 1 tbsp. Red Chili Sauce (I use this one made by Chings)
- Prepare Hakka Chili Sauce: in a bowl, whisk together all hakka chili sauce ingredients until incorporated. Set aside.
- In wok over medium-to-low heat, heat up 1 tbsp. Cooking Oil. Add in minced Garlic, grated Ginger, and chopped Chilies (optional). Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add in Red Onion, and sauté for additional 30 seconds.
- Turn up heat to medium. Mix in Red Bell Pepper, Green Bell Pepper, and Jalapenos. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add shredded Carrots & Cabbage. Sprinkle in Ground Black Pepper and mix.
- Stir in cooked noodles.
- Pour in Hakka Chili Sauce and gently toss ingredients together until incorporated. Let cook and mix for final 30 seconds.
- Serve and Enjoy!
#TashTip: If using traditional hakka noodles, coat the noodles with light amount of oil and spread apart before adding into step 6. This will avoid them sticking together!