Sloppy. Sweet. Spicy. Easy to make weeknight dinner for those days when everything sucks and sometimes you just need a hard hitting, yummy meal to cure all.
Ask my sister. This recipe came about because we thought we were going to have Veggie Burgers that night. Had the buns. But looking through the freezer, what we thought were Veggie Burgers were actually Turkey Burgers, and more so – not ours.
So what’s the next dinner idea or thing? PBJ? Grilled Cheese? All hope seemed to be lost, right?
NAH SON. Saw chicken. Saw BBQ sauce. Saw some buns, hun. Oh we in the big leagues now, baby.
Inspired by the Texas & Tennessee BBQ sliders I’ve so enjoyed eating and pantry surfing, it should be no surprise to y’all at this point that cooking is just a big ol’ game of Food Network’s “Chopped ” sometimes. Combining basic ingredients and making it your own with spices & flavors – me with the Asian Zing from Sriracha and Thai Green Chilies.
Eat it plain. Eat it with buns, wraps, pitas. Eat it on pizza. Freeze for later use. The possibilities are endless!
PREP: 5 minutes TOTAL: 15 minutes YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 2 Cups Cooked Shredded Chicken (prepackaged or homemade)
- 1 Small Red Onion, finely diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno or Serrano Pepper, finely chopped (can sub with Thai Green Chili Peppers)
- 1½ Cups Barbecue Sauce (homemade or your favorite store bought version!)
- 1/2 Cup Sriracha
- 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 tbsp. Cooking Oil
- In sauté pan over medium-to-low heat, heat up Cooking Oil. Add in chopped Red Onion and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in Garlic and Jalapeno/Serrano Pepper. Continue to sauté for additional 2 minutes until both the onions and garlic are slightly colored/crisp.
- Turn down heat to lowest setting and pour in Barbecue Sauce, Sriracha, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Water. Mix/Whisk until all ingredients are incorporated together into saucy consistency.
- Slowly stir in Shredded Chicken. Mix until covered in sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
#TashTip: Serve with hamburger buns and pepper jack cheese for easy BBQ Chicken Sliders! Can also be used on BBQ Chicken Pizza, Nachos, or on it’s own as well!