Providing a stress-free total solution to gravy that fits all of your dinner guest’s palates: vegan and non-vegan alike. Happy Thanksgiving!
The Holidays bring out all of the family members for food, fun, laughter, and new memories. And let’s not forget old and new traditions!
I didn’t grow up celebrating a “traditional American” Thanksgiving. I may not be, but my very Indian family includes many vegetarians. So, it’s sometimes challenging to cook for this holiday considering the main dish is Turkey and the gravy is usually made from it’s pan drippings. Gravy is a staple when it comes to mashed potatoes, so I knew that when it was my turn to cook – I absolutely had to create a vegetarian option!
The glossy brown gravy is very good, but overdone. I wanted to pack in more flavor and create even more lusciousness & creaminess with the mashed potatoes, and Coconut Milk was a natural option. And promise, I made sure to make this gravy healthy! Whether its for your Thanksgiving, Christmas, or week-night dinner: this recipe is quick, simple, and guilt-free.
Truly thankful for all of your continuous support. Sharing the spices. Sharing the love. Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving. 🙂
PREP: 5 minutes TOTAL: 15 minutes YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 1 can Light Coconut Milk (regular works too)
- 1 small Red Onion or Yellow Onion, chopped small (~1/4 cup)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (adjust per taste)
- Olive Oil
- In pan over low heat, heat up 2 tsp. Olive Oil. Add in chopped Red Onion and minced Garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes on low heat.
- Sprinkle in All Purpose Flour and additional 1 tsp. of Olive Oil. Mix until flour is incorporate with pan ingredients. Add Lemon Juice and Vegetable Stock to help “deglaze” the pan.
- Increase heat to medium and stir in Coconut Milk. Sprinkle in Ground Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, and Salt. Bubbles will start forming on the side of the pan.
- Continue whisking gravy together slowly until it thickens (~2 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!
#TashTip: This gravy is best served with potato dishes, and poultry (for the non-vegan folks!). It can be stored for up to 5 days, and reheated. So you can make ahead!