My take on the classic Chinese Scallion Pancake, but with an international and speedy twist!
You ever think about the things that always are sitting in the back of the fridge that you forget about? Like those ingredients you bought to make a recipe that one time, but probably didn’t use up all of it? Yup, that’s what happened here. Marie Kondo might have a nightmare if she was to look at my fridge, but hey – more excuse to come up with cool recipes – so yeah! Random groceries give me joy.
In celebration of the Lunar New Year, so many recipes referenced Chinese Scallion Pancakes, and they looked so good. I honestly was trying to make these, but searched through my Narnia of a fridge to see what ingredients I have… and OUILA, a completely different idea was born.
Scallions? Corn tortillas so I don’t have to kneed dough? Cheese ‘cus HYFR? Indian but Chinese inspired sauces? LFG!!! Corn tortillas have a unique flavor that when it hits a hot oil pan, oh boy does that aroma of roasted corn shine. The ingredients you add in there will determine the next flavor profile, and what better than scallions who also carry a mighty taste.
I’ve been trying to come up with an easy recipe with a fusion twist for some time now. I’ve gone through some major life changes, and I needed a break to recharge the creative juices and get going. A new logo, new recipes, good vibes. Cheers to 2023. Love y’all.
PREP: 10 minutes TOTAL: 20 minutes YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 12 Corn Tortillas (taco size)
- 2 cups chopped Scallions (i.e. green onions);
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar and Jack Cheese blend
- 3-4 Thai Green Chilies or 2 Jalapeño Peppers, chopped small
- 1/4 cup Ching’s Green Chili Sauce
- 1/4 cup Ching’s Red Chili Sauce
- 1.5 tbsp. Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp. Salt or to taste
- Cooking Oil
- In a big mixing bowl, combine scallions, cheddar-jack cheese blend, green chilies, Ching’s Green Chili Sauce, Ching’s Red Chili Sauce, chaat masala, ground black pepper, and salt. Mix together thoroughly. Adjust sauce and seasoning levels as needed.
- In a skillet pan over medium heat, add up 1/2 tsp. Cooking Oil or Butter and spread around the pan with spatula.
- Add a corn tortilla to the pan and let cook for 10 seconds to warm it up. Evenly spread out scallion-cheese mixture on tortilla. Cover with another tortilla. Press down with spatula, and let cook for 1 minute, flipping the quesadilla a few times over until cheese is melted and outside is slightly browned. Repeat for remaining tortillas and mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!
#TashTip: While no sauce is required, the quesadilla tastes great with a garlic chili sauce like Sriracha!
One Comment Add yours
Love this way-easier version!