You can’t think of Autumn without thinking Butternut Squash. Combined with the Ayurvedic (and detox) healing powers of Ginger and Turmeric, it’ll keep you healthy, warm, and cozy all season long.
I love Autumn. It’s my favorite season both fashion wise and food wise. You’ve got Halloween – Thanksgiving – and the Holidays, all wrapped up into a 3 month party. What I love the most? That spices are used in abundance – a healthy, wealthy, wise decision.
Now being South Asian, too many spices has never been an issue. Did you know that Turmeric and Ginger both come from the same family? Yeah! With recent gentrified trends of Starbucks using Turmeric and Ginger in their drinks, I had to drop some knowledge on y’all – it’s not a new thing. I’ve been drinking turmeric-ginger milk since I was a baby, mainly because it’s the one stop shop to fix all health issues – according to Indian moms everywhere. And it’s so versatile, it doesn’t have to stop at dranks.
This Soup’s Healing Powers:
- Anti-inflammatory magic from ginger that helps treat arthritis, ulcers, and other joint pains.
- Turmeric helps reduce symptoms of nausea, bloating, and indigestion related issues. That’s right, it can help reduce your “food baby”. Look at me acting like a 24 minute medicine commercial. But I promise you, this is real!
- Cinnamon has an anti-diabetic effect to help lower blood sugar levels.
- Nutmeg has a calming factor which leads to it’s natural pain-relieving power to help reduce nerve tension, sleeplessness, and bad toxins.
- Butternut squash is low in fat, high in anti-oxidants, and good for your heart (regulates blood pressure), to help boost your nervous and immune systems.
All in all, you’re in for a healing, relaxing, and flavorful mashup of warmth. 🙂
PREP: 30 minutes TOTAL: 1 hour 10 minutes YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 1 medium Butternut Squash (~1-1.5 lbs)
- 5 cups Water
- 1 medium White Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tsp. Minced Ginger
- 1 tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. Red Chili Powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Unsalted Butter (sub with tbsp. of Olive Oil and the soup becomes Vegan!)
- Toasted Coconut Shavings for decoration
- Peel and seed Butternut Squash. Cut into large cubed chunks.
- In large pot over medium to low heat, add 2 tbsp. Olive Oil and 1 tbsp. Unsalted Butter. Throw in chopped White Onion, Minced Garlic, and Minced Ginger. Stir and let cook for 3-4 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle in seasonings: Turmeric powder, Ground Nutmeg, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Black Pepper, Salt, and Red Chili Powder.
- Add Butternut Squash chunks and 5 cups of Water to pot. Stir Gently.
- Cover pot with lid. Let cook over medium heat for 25 minutes.
- Blend butternut squash mixture using a hand immersion blender directly in the pot or by pouring mixture into a blender and blend on low speed – until smooth.
- Serve in soup bowl. Sprinkle Toasted Coconut Shavings for decoration.
- Stay cozy and enjoy!
The soup compliments well alongside mixed greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette, and pesto grilled cheese!