Putting my own unique twist to this famous dish for a seamless, vegetarian, tasty Thai meal, all for you. Follow @TheSharedSpice on Instagram for a step-by-step live demo for this recipe!
Rice is a staple in all cuisines. Go anywhere in the world, and rice will be served either plain, fried, with cheese, in pudding as dessert, cold, hot, the possibilities are endless!
One of my favorite cuisines, if you didn’t already know, is Thai. I’ve probably made this rice dish plentiful of times, but never sat down to perfect it. That is, until now. Ask my sister, I made this for dinner one day with my Thai Vegetable Stir Fry, and sat there upset because I messed up my own recipe. My dad kept saying, “but, it’s so good!“, and I kept self-doubting myself. With a little motivation (and free-time), I did eventually pick myself up. If you want to know how much I care about creating quality posts and exact measurements/steps for you: I went back to the grocery store a couple days later to pick up ingredients to make this dish again until I was happy with it, and here we are a few hours later with a blog post. Don’t worry, I ate it for dinner that night, too. 🙂
Mess-ups happen. There are ups & downs, even within your passion. But that’s the beauty of it all. I love experimenting. I love crafting. I love making things better.
All of this to say, I love cooking for you guys. And I want to make sure it’s enjoyable & easy so you can indulge and maybe even impress your own peeps.
Always and forever, thank you.
PREP: 15 minutes TOTAL: 25 minutes YIELD: 3-6 servings
- 3 cups Cooked Rice (leftovers work great!)
- 1/2 Small Yellow or White Onion, diced
- 1/2 Small Yellow or White Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper, sliced into 1″ matchsticks
- 1 cup Chopped Thai Basil
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Grated Ginger
- 3 Thai Green Chilies, chopped
- 3 tbsp. Soy Sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tbsp. Vegetarian Mushroom Flavored Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Cooking Oil
- Lime Juice (optional garnish)
- In wok/sauté pan over medium-to-low heat, heat 1 tbsp. cooking oil. Add in diced onion, minced garlic, minced ginger, and green chilies. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Mix in red bell peppers. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, mushroom stir fry sauce, sesame oil, and brown sugar. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated into thick sauce. Adjust sugar as needed.
- Mix in sliced onion. Stir mixture around for 1-2 minutes, or until sliced onions are slightly translucent.
- Slowly add in cooked rice. Mix thoroughly. Turn off heat.
- Sprinkle in chopped Thai basil & mix. Squeeze lime juice over top.
- Serve and enjoy!
#TashTip: Serve with curry or my Thai Basil Stir Fry (Kapow Jae) instead of plain rice. And now you have your very own super awesome home-cooked Thai meal! 🙂