India’s street food is culinary genius at it’s finest. But when you live 8000+ miles across the world, it’s hard to come by for obvious reasons. Lucky for you, you don’t have to take a flight when you’re craving it right on spot.
My father’s most recent trip to India had him raving about his favorite food cart in the streets of Gujarat, India. The guy who runs it is otherwise known as Raju. According to dad, Raju is known for his famous (but secret) spice mix (masala) that makes his food so much better than any other of the millions of India’s food carts. While we may never know the secret, we can only hope we will get to enjoy it for eternities to come!
Talk about egg-straordinary! Quite eggciting, I know.
PREP: 15 minutes TOTAL: 25 minutes YIELD: 3-4 servings
- 9 Eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 1 medium Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium Tomato, finely diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1½ tbsp. grated Ginger
- 2 Thai Green Chilies, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp. ground Coriander/Cumin Blend Mix (Dhana Jeera as found in Indian Supermarkets)
- 1 tsp. Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- On medium heat, melt 2 tbsp of Butter in a pan. Stir in chopped Red Onion, and cook until translucent.
- Mix in Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, and ground Coriander/Cumin Blend Mix, Salt, and Ground Black Pepper. If you have an Egg Burji Masala from your Momma’s pantry, feel free to add in a tablespoon of it too! Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- On low heat, Stir in Tomatoes, and cook for 2-3 minutes for juices to release.
- Mix in Garlic, Ginger, and Thai Green Chili Peppers, and remaining 2 tbsp. of Butter.
- Using a large grater, grate 7 Hard-Boiled Eggs into the pan. Gently mix it through with all other pan ingredients.
- Dice remaining 2 Hard-Boiled Eggs and add to pan. Gently mix.
- Serve with toast. Enjoy!
It’s great with Maggi Hot and Sweet Sauce, and/or Ketchup. Also try it as a sandwich for a quick brunch!