It’s April. It’s officially Spring. But wait, what’s that? Spring weather decided to ghost us all and now we’re left still hanging out in our snuggies and fuzzy socks and in need of comfort food because we’re at a loss of how to say warm? No worries, I gotchu.
Outside of the less than ideal cold weather, allergy season is kicking my butt. How is that fair you ask? It’s not. Sometimes I feel like I need to reward myself for handling it all, and I do that by popping open a bottle of wine and overdosing on Netflix.
“Make sure you eat something while drinking that wine, Tash!“, something my Mother never forgets to remind me. By the word association game, the first thing that comes to mind when someone says “wine” is: chicken, Italy, warmth, relaxed, moms. Now I don’t know how fast all yall’s brains work, but mine takes its time but when the idea clicks – a masterpiece is presented before me.
Chicken. Italy. Warmth. Relaxed. Moms.
If you know me, the most random thoughts buzz through my head. So duh, that naturally all combines to: how about making a chicken with Italian based seasoning that provides warmth (and comfort!!!) and requires minimal effort aka can be done in the same pan so cleaning up still feels relaxed and Mom will be satisfied I ate?
TL/DR: wine gave me special intellectual powers that allowed me to create a masterpiece.
PREP: 20 minutes TOTAL: 40 minutes YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 4-6 boneless-skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 8oz package Baby Bella Mushrooms (slice if whole or buy pre-sliced)
- 1/2 cup Frozen Chopped Spinach (same as half of a 10oz box)
- 2 cups Light or Heavy Cream (same as 1 pint)
- 1 small Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Thai Green Chili Peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 cup Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp. Dried Basil
- 1 tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt (to taste)
- Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Olive Oil
- Prepare Chicken: Clean Chicken Breasts, pat dry, and set on plate. Coat in Olive Oil. Season both sides with Cayenne Pepper, Dried Oregano, Dried Basil, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt, and Ground Black Pepper.
- On medium heat, coat large nonstick skillet pan with 1-2 tbsp. of Olive Oil. Place seasoned Chicken Breasts in pan and cook 6-7 minutes per side. Once done, set chicken aside on a plate.
- In same pan, add chopped Yellow Onion, minced Garlic, and chopped Green Chili. Cook until onion is translucent, and add in 2 tbsp. Butter.
- Add in sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms and remaining 2 tbsp. Butter. Sprinkle in Salt and Pepper to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in Chopped Green Spinach. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in Light Cream and Parmesan Cheese. Stir gently until cheese is melted.
- Place Chicken Breasts back into skillet and lightly coat with cream sauce. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
It’s great with a side of Mashed Potatoes or Roasted Vegetables. If you want to make the meal Vegetarian, skip the chicken all together, and use the sauce for pasta of your choosing!