Everyday I’m Brusselin’ Brusselin’. Hosting or going to a summer barbecue this year? Already in holiday mode and thinking of what your next Thanksgiving/Christmas side dish will be? Craving a little sweet and spicy?
Oh HONEY I have one solution for you: MAKE BRUSSELS SPROUTS GREAT AGAIN.
I remember growing up and hating the idea of Brussels Sprouts. So much in fact I didn’t try them until about a year ago! Random, but I distinctly remember watching an episode of Arthur as a kid, and both him and D.W. gawking at sight of the bitter vegetable. Since then, I refused to try it because if my childhood favorites (even if fiction) hated it, I hated it too.
Flash forward to today. A friend ordered Brussels Sprouts as a bar snack on one of our happy hour adventures, and with a little liquid courage, I sucked it up and realized I’ve been missing out all this time. Luckily, I figured out how easy it is to make at home, and I had to experiment right away!
You’d be surprised how well the bitterness hides itself when you roast the sprouts and jazz it up with some accidentally discovered concoction i.e. homemade dressing. Having Indian roots, I have to spice EVERYTHING up (oh hey s/o to my blog name!) – and that includes the dressing. Honey is a great leveler, carried by the emulsion power of good ol’ Dijon, and sprinkle of a little this and that – AND THAI GREEN CHILIES OBVS.
Adding a hot, sweet, spicy, and desi touch to a love/hate vegetable, I’m here for you. The combination of these flavors might sound wild, but trust me it’s AMAZING. Promise.
PREP: 15 minutes TOTAL: 45 minutes YIELD: 4-6 servings
MASALA ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- 1.5-2 lbs. Brussels Sprouts
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- 2-3 Thai Green Chilies, finely minced
- 1.5 tbsp. Curry Powder – I used Badshah Kitchen King Masala!
- 1/2 tbsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes
HOT HONEY VINAIGRETTE
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Spicy Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Clean Brussels Sprouts thoroughly. Cut off and throw away brown stems. Leave small ones as is, cut in half length-wise for larger ones. Place in large bowl.
- Toss Brussels Sprouts in Olive Oil, minced Garlic, minced Green Chilies, Curry Powder, Salt, Ground Black Pepper, and Red Pepper Flakes.
- Spread seasoned Brussels sprouts on sheet pan. Roast in oven for 40 minutes or until desired crispiness (depending on your oven settings). Place back in large bowl once done roasting.
- Prepare Hot Honey Vinaigrette: In a mason jar, combine all related ingredients. Close lid and shake thoroughly. You can use a large bowl and whisk the ingredients together as well.
- Pour vinaigrette on top of roasted Brussels Sprouts and lightly toss.
- Serve as a side dish or appetizer.
#TashTip: Leave Brussels Sprouts for longer in the oven to have crispier bits. Homemade Hot Honey Vinaigrette is a great (and cheap!), no additive alternative for your salads.