Sprucing up my college recipe with more “adulting” ingredients. Roasted garlic. Creamy ricotta. Earthy mushrooms. Rich in flavor. Cheap for the wallet.
TERP NATION. I may be out of college for a few years now (don’t ask how long), but those quick recipes still hit the spot. Working with limited ingredients, little money, and too many friends to feed – you always knew pasta was the way to go. I mean…, I had Route 1 bars, EntouRAAS practice, or McKeldin Library to get to (I miss you UMD College Park!).
Me and my best friend, who just so happened to be my roommate for 3 years, used to love hosting dinner parties with our friends at our Commons apartment. Creating 3 course menus, exchanging gifts (during the Holidays), drinking Natty Light & Barefoot Moscato (our tastes weren’t as refined yet lol), and just chilling overall. Pasta usually was the main course. I’d take bottled Alfredo Sauce with Sriracha and create this Asian-Italian fusion dish.
This recipe is inspired by just that – but since refined!
Beyoncé got hot sauce in her bag. I got Sriracha in my fridge 24/7. It’s that one hot sauce that went with everything – sandwiches, Chinese Take-Out, fries, late-night god know’s what we ate, etc. It’s a strong flavor, so have to be careful in portions, especially in pasta dishes. That’s why I specifically tested & curated the Sriracha portion to ensure it doesn’t mask the earthiness of the mushrooms, fragrance of the butter roasted garlic, and creaminess of the ricotta – but still adds the punch.
Happy dinner party eating like the good ol’ college days!
PREP: 10 minutes TOTAL: 20 minutes YIELD: 2-4 servings
- 1/2 Box Spaghetti, cooked per box instructions (save the water!)
- 1 8 oz. pack Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 Thai Green Chili or Serrano Chili finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup Ricotta
- 1/2 cup Grated or Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tbsp. Sriracha
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter (can use salted or unsalted per preference)
- 1 cup Reserved Pasta Water
- In saute pan over medium-to-low heat, heat up Olive Oil and Butter until melted. Add chopped Garlic and optional Thai Green Chili/Serrano pepper. Saute for ~30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic Powder, Ground Black Pepper and Salt.
- Add in sliced Mushrooms and Sriracha. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms are slightly reduced/little to no liquid in the pan. Lower heat to lowest setting.
- Slowly stir in Ricotta and Reserved Pasta Water until creaminess forms. For a more “creamy liquidy” sauce, continue to add Reserved Pasta Water until desired consistency. Adjust salt/pepper levels as needed. Turn off heat.
- Stir in cooked Spaghetti Noodles and Parmesan Cheese until incorporated.
- Serve and enjoy!
#TashTip: Garnish with additional Parmesan Cheese & Chopped Parsley as needed. If sauce becomes “too liquidy”, add more Parmesan Cheese to thicken it up! Try with shrimp & chicken.
3 Comments Add yours
Looks really good!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Means a lot, thank you so much!! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
You are welcome!