Flaky. Puffy. Fluffy. Corny. Cheesy. Street. Taking the classic corn and cheese empanada and making it Indian. Fusion Style.
Masala corn can be found in abundance on any street corner of India. It’s a classic, quick-fix spicy snack you’d find most people eating out of a paper cup. And if you know anything about Indians and Street food, we love our butter and cheese. What better way than to combine it all into a warm pocket of goodness?! In low abundance of course – we semi healthy out here.
Almost every culture has a dish that’s a dough based pastry filled with sweet or savory ingredients: samosas, empanada, dumplings, perogies, kolaches,… and the list goes on and on. As my blog name says: it’s all about sharing cultures together to create new and exciting culinary experiences.
Taking the classic Argentinian Corn & Cheese Empanada and fusing it with Indian spices and street food culture within a flaky dough (my favorite dough actually). PUFF DADDY ALL UP IN THESE STREETS FAM.
Cheesy. Corny. Street. If I didn’t know any better, I’m describing myself. 😉
PREP: 20 minutes TOTAL: 50 minutes YIELD: 3-6 servings
- 1 sheet frozen Puff Pastry, cut into 9 equal squares (thaw according to package instructions)
- 2/3 cup Frozen Yellow Corn
- 2/3 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 small Yellow Onion, diced small
- 1 Jalepeño, deseeded and diced small
- 1/2 tsp. Minced Garlic (1-2 garlic clove)
- 1/2 tsp. Minced Ginger (1/2 ginger root)
- 3-4 Green Chilis, minced (optional)
- 1 tsp. Lime Juice
- 1 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Chaat Masala
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In saute pan over low heat, melt 1 tbsp. Butter. Add in Yellow Onion, Jalepeño, Ginger, Garlic, and Green Chilis. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add in Frozen Yellow Corn, Lime Juice, Red Chili Powder, Chaat Masala, Turmeric, Garam Masala, Salt, and Black Pepper. Mix and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Mix in Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Don’t worry if it doesn’t melt, it will in the oven!
- Roll out edges of each puff pastry square to make it slightly larger in size.
- Equally distribute corn-cheese mixture on each puff pastry square. Fold to form triangle or rectangle. Crimp edges with fork to seal & ensure nothing spills out. PS, I found more of my taste-testers preferred the rectangles.
- Spread out evenly on baking pan. Brush top and edges of puff pastries with milk. This will ensure it stays golden & doesn’t burn.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tops are slightly golden brown.
#TashTip: Serve with Chai or Wine/Cocktails. It’s a great brunch, high-tea, or cocktail party snack!