Potatoes? Bread? Seasoning? We got all those! Sharing an easy, kitchen-staple based recipe with you all as we manage COVID-19, social distancing, & quarantine. Stay safe! 🙂
COVID-19 has taken over all of our lives, sigh. It’s been a strange time to be alive for sure, and now that we’re all “social distancing” and/or quarantining, we’re all in this together. When we don’t have the option to order takeout/delivery everyday (support your local eateries when you can please!), we have to be able to cook with the things we can find in our house – and easy things at that.
Growing up, my mother and grandmother used to make these quick potato filled sandwiches – cut into triangular shapes of course – and it was so good. A quick, simple, filling spicy sandwich that worked for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I’ve made my mom’s recipe my own overtime with basic ingredients, and wanted to share it with you all!
As we stay indoors and help the world recover from unprecedented times, I want to make time in my remote work days to share easy recipes that you can be creative with as you please. And please do share your plates with me! They get me through these long days, and I love to see how creative you all are.
Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay sane. Take a break from time to time to enjoy the little things in life. We will get through this together. ♥
PREP: 25 minutes TOTAL: 35 minutes YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 20 slices of Bread (makes 10 sandwiches)
- 3 large Russet Potatoes, boiled and lightly mashed (leave some texture!)
- 1 Red Onion, diced small
- 1/2 Cup, Frozen Peas prepared per box instructions
- 1/2 Cup, Frozen Carrots, diced small & prepared per box instructions
- you can even use the grocery store frozen peas & carrots mix!
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. Grated Ginger
- 3-4 Green Chilies, minced (optional, but highly recommended!)
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp. Red Chili Powder or Paprika
- 1 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1½ tsp. Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp. Salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp. Lime Juice
- 1 cup Chopped Cilantro
- Cooking Oil
- In saute pan over low heat, add ½ tbsp. Cooking Oil. Once heated, add Cumin Seeds and toast for 10-15 seconds.
- Mix in Onions and saute for 1 minute. Add in minced Garlic, grated Ginger, Thai Green Chilies and saute for additional 40 seconds until mixed together.
- Sprinkle in Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Garam Masala, Ground Black Pepper, Chaat Masala, and Salt. Mix well and add in Lime Juice. Turn off heat, set aside.
- In large bowl, gently stir together Mashed Potatoes, Cooked Peas & Carrots, and Sauted Onion-Spice mixture until incorporated. Adjust salt levels as needed.
- Sprinkle in chopped Cilantro and mix. Adjust salt levels as needed.
- Evenly scoop potato mix on to 10 slices of bread and spread. Cover each with blank slice of bread. Should make 10 sandwiches.
- Butter the open sides of the bread. Grill in panini press, sandwich maker, on griddle, or in saute pan as if you’re making a grilled cheese.
- Cut into triangular pieces.
- Serve with a side of Ketchup, Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauce, or Sriracha.
#TashTip: Sprinkle in some shredded cheddar cheese or add a slice of Amul Cheese in each sandwich before grilling for a fun twist. The potato mixture also works great in my Puff Pastry Recipe!