A dish fit for Popeye the Sailor, or your hearty food loving self. Here’s my super easy, vegetarian take on the classic “Spaghetti with Meatballs” chock-full of nutrition, garlic, creamy goodness, and CHEEEESEE. As they say, ain’t nothing better than comfort food – and I promise you, this fits all those needs. I suggest a pajama party with some good red wine as the best pairing for this dish. Ya feel? 😉
Gracie, Italia. You have some of the best history, landscapes, cultures, and foods. And here’s my ode to you.
PREP: 10 minutes TOTAL: 35 minutes YIELD: 5-8 servings
- 1.5 cups Chopped Spinach, washed/dried per instructions [frozen is fine]
- 1/3 cup White Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk Ricotta [feel free to substitute with fat-free kind]
- 1/2 cup Shredded Italian Blend Cheese [whatever 4/5/6 cheese mix you prefer]
- 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
- 2 teaspoon Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Crushed Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Thai Hot Green Pepper, finely chopped – totally optional of course!
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place all items in large round bowl, and mix/mesh ingredients thoroughly. I use my hands, but large spoon/fork works too.
- Place foil on baking sheet (for easy clean-up), and spray with cooking spray or drizzle olive oil so your mixture doesn’t stick.
- Shape your mixture into mini golf-size balls, and place on baking sheet at least 2 cm apart.
- Bake at 350° F for 20 minutes, or until slightly browned. Do not flip or rotate at any point.
- Sprinkle Shredded Italian Blend Cheese on top as garnish.
- Buon appetito! 🙂
I recommend serving with spaghetti, or as a snack/appetizer with marinara sauce on the side.